1) Pesky Dripping Faucets
The incessant drip-drip noise of a faucet is not just irritating; it also leads to significant water wastage. A single dripping faucet can waste thousands of gallons a year, leading to a spike in your water bills. Usually, the cause of this issue is a worn-out washer or O ring, which can be easily replaced. However, in some instances, the problem could be due to corrosion or improper faucet installation.
If your faucet continues to drip despite replacing the washer or O ring, it’s time to call in professional plumbing services.
2) The Case of Leaky Pipes
Leaky pipes are a common yet serious issue. They can lead to water damage in your home, and if not addressed promptly, the damage can escalate. Leaky pipes can result from various problems, including stubborn clogs, improper pipe laying, pipe corrosion, pipe joint damage, and excessive water pressure.
If you notice water damage marks on your walls or floors or unusually high water bills, it might be due to a leaky pipe. Contacting a plumbing service is imperative to fix this issue, as they have the right tools and expertise to identify and repair the leaks.
3) Running Toilets – A Water Guzzler
A running toilet can waste up to 200 gallons of water a day, leading to unnecessary water waste and increased utility bills. Common issues causing running toilets include refill tube problems, worn-out flapper seals or flush valves, improperly sized flapper chains, and corroded toilet handles.
If your toilet is continuously running, it’s advisable to seek professional plumbing services. They can effectively diagnose the problem and provide an efficient solution.
4) The Problem of Low Water Pressure
Low water pressure can make it difficult to use almost any plumbing system in your home. Often, this issue is a symptom of bigger plumbing problems like pipe corrosion, hidden water leaks, drain or sewer clogs, and cracked or blocked sewer lines.
If you’re dealing with weak water pressure throughout your home, it’s time to call in the professionals. They can identify the root cause of the problem and fix it effectively.
5) Leaking Hose Bibb
A leaking hose bibb is a common issue during spring and summer. After a long, cold winter, many unprotected hose bibbs can crack and begin to leak. Investing in a frost-proof hose bibb can reduce the chances of future leaks.
If you notice a leaking hose bibb, it’s best to get it replaced by a professional plumber. They can also give advice on maintaining the hose bibb to prevent future leaks.
6) Slow or Clogged Drains
Slow or clogged drains can cause health risks and even lead to plumbing disasters if not addressed quickly. A slow drain in a home usually indicates a localized problem, often caused by a buildup of hair, soap, and other debris. Multiple slow or clogged drains could be a sign of sewer line issues.
When you encounter slow or clogged drains, it’s crucial to consult with a professional plumbing service. They can diagnose whether it’s a simple clog or a more serious sewer line problem.
7) Sump Pump Failure
Sump pump failures can be due to a problem with the unit or an external issue. Causes include stuck switches, overwhelming amounts of water (like after heavy rain), clogged discharge pipes, improper installation, and aging.
Whenever you face a sump pump failure, it’s best to contact a professional plumbing service. They can accurately diagnose the problem and provide an effective solution.
8) Water Heater Issues
Hot water is a necessity in any home, and any issue with the water heater can cause discomfort. Water heater problems can be due to heating element failures, corrosion or sediment buildup in systems, loose or broken electrical connections, improper installation, or an unsuitable system for a home’s needs.
If your water heater isn’t providing enough hot water, it’s time to call in the experts. Professional plumbing services can fix the issue efficiently, ensuring you have a steady supply of hot water.
9) Jammed Garbage Disposal
A jammed garbage disposal can cause a lot of inconvenience. It generally happens when the disposal is exposed to large amounts of food waste or foreign objects.
If your garbage disposal is jammed and you are unable to identify the source of the blockage, it’s advisable to contact a professional plumber. They can safely clear the blockage and ensure your disposal is working correctly.
10) Slow Draining Sink
A slow draining sink often indicates a blockage between your sink and the sewer system. If your sink drains slowly or is completely clogged, you should avoid using chemical drain cleaners as they can damage your pipes.
Instead, seek professional plumbing services for a comprehensive and safe solution. They can unclog your drain without causing any damage to your pipes.
11) High Water Bills
An unexpected increase in your water bill can indicate a hidden leak in your home. Even a small leak can lead to a significant increase in water usage and consequently, your water bill.
If you notice a sudden increase in your water bill without a corresponding increase in water usage, consider getting a professional plumbing service to inspect your home for leaks.
12) Clogged Bath or Shower Drain
A clogged bath or shower drain is usually caused by a buildup of hair and soap scum. This can lead to slow drainage and, if left untreated, complete blockage.
To prevent a complete blockage, seek professional plumbing services at the first sign of slow drainage. They can clear the clog and provide advice on preventing future blockages.
13) Wet Spots on the Lawn
Wet spots on your lawn can indicate a serious plumbing issue, such as a leaking sewer line or water main. This issue requires immediate attention to prevent further damage and potentially costly repairs.
14) Sewer System Backup
A sewer system backup is one of the worst plumbing issues you can face. It’s smelly, messy, and can cause significant damage to your home.
Whenever you suspect a sewer system backup, it’s crucial to contact a professional plumbing service immediately. They can locate the source of the problem and fix it, preventing further damage to your home.
15) Gas Leaks
While not strictly a plumbing issue, gas leaks are often handled by plumbers. Gas leaks can pose serious health risks and should be dealt with immediately.
If you suspect a gas leak in your home, turn off the gas supply and immediately call a professional plumber who is trained to handle gas leaks.
Remember, while some minor plumbing issues can be tackled with DIY fixes, most problems require the expertise of professional plumbing services. Regular maintenance and timely repairs can help prevent most of these issues and save you from potential plumbing disasters.
Are you facing any of these plumbing issues? Don’t wait for the problem to escalate. Contact our team of experienced plumbers at ProStar Plumbing & Heating or give us a call at 4032507232 today and get your plumbing system functioning efficiently again.
- Can I fix a dripping faucet on my own, or should I call a professional plumber? In some cases, a dripping faucet can be fixed with simple DIY solutions like replacing a worn-out washer or O ring. However, if the faucet continues to drip after trying these fixes, it’s best to call a professional plumber. They can accurately diagnose the underlying issue, such as corrosion or improper installation, and provide a lasting solution to prevent water wastage.
- How can I tell if I have a hidden leak in my home causing high water bills? If you notice a sudden and unexplained increase in your water bills, it could be a sign of a hidden leak. To confirm, turn off all water sources in your home and check your water meter. If the meter continues to run, there’s likely a leak. In such cases, it’s crucial to seek professional plumbing services to detect and repair the leak before it leads to further damage.
- My water heater isn’t providing enough hot water. What could be the problem? Insufficient hot water can be caused by various issues, such as heating element failures, sediment buildup, or loose electrical connections. To determine the root cause, it’s best to consult a professional plumber. They can inspect your water heater, identify the problem, and perform the necessary repairs to restore a steady supply of hot water.
- Can I use chemical drain cleaners to unclog my slow draining sink? It’s generally not recommended to use chemical drain cleaners as they can damage your pipes over time. Instead, try using a plunger or a drain snake to clear minor clogs. For more stubborn clogs, it’s safer and more effective to seek professional plumbing services. They can use specialized tools to unclog your sink without causing harm to your plumbing system.
- What should I do if I suspect a gas leak in my home? Gas leaks are serious and dangerous. If you suspect a gas leak, first, turn off the gas supply at the main shut-off valve. Open windows and doors to ventilate the area, and do not use any electrical devices or open flames. Immediately leave your home and call a professional plumber or your gas company to assess and repair the gas leak safely.
Schedule Service Online
Quality is what you can expect from Prostar Plumbing and Heating when you choose us for plumbing work or furnace repair in Calgary, AB, and nearby areas. Our courteous, experienced technicians are committed to your full satisfaction regardless of what has you reaching out to us. ProStar Plumbing & Heating is here for you around the clock.